A great meal is about more than the way it tastes—chefs strive for a beautiful presentation on the plate and restauranteurs frequently have a particular aesthetic in mind when designing a space. Instagram has shown us another way to enjoy food through beautiful, creative photography and in the conversations those images spark. For food brands, creating innovative and engaging content on an ongoing basis can be challenging. We all know cookies are delicious, but how many ways can you photograph one so it remains interesting and keeps fans engaged with your brand? Here, we offer food brands ten Insta-worthy tips to chew on.
- Find your style…and stick with it. Just as in all other branding, maintain a consistent stylistic theme and voice in your photography and caption.
- Make your food brand a lifestyle brand. Balance product content with lifestyle photos with a similar aesthetic theme. Show your product being consumed in different situations and locations to illustrate different ways it can be enjoyed.
- Develop a branded, actionable #hashtag to rally your fans. Think about what’s unique to your product, or an action that it inspires, to create a conversation around your brand.
- Tell a story. Build a story around everything you photograph—use props, scenery, and lighting to create a mood and narrative.
- Go behind the scenes. Photographing your employees at work not only gives a behind-the-scenes view of your company, it’s also a way to celebrate staff and show them how much they’re valued.
- Promote company news. Do you have a new product or flavor? Has your brand or company received an award? Did someone on your team run a marathon? Is your brand partnering with a charity? Let your fans and followers know about it.
- Host contests. Contests are a strategic way to gain followers and increase engagement. Like-to-win, comment-to-win, repost-to-win, or a photo challenge are just a few ideas to get you started. Prizes can include anything from a repost to a basket of free products.
- Be nimble and newsworthy. Last year’s viral #MannequinChallenge was a fun way for brands to engage with consumers, share healthy recipes and tips on #WellnessWednesday, or react to a breaking news story with a post that’s relevant to your brand.
- Embrace your community. Sharing user-generated content that’s stylistically similar to your brands makes followers feel recognized and part of your tribe.
- Use all the tools in your Insta toolkit. In addition to still photography, create videos on Instagram Stories and try the Boomerang app to produce fun images—your creativity is almost limitless!
Need help with your social media marketing? Women’s Marketing offers a suite of marketing services aimed at getting your brand in front of the customers who matter most. Contact us today to learn more!